Make a One-Time Donation
Shop Amazon and a portion of your shopping will be automatically donated to SWMF at no extra cost to you.
Other Ways to Donate
Non-Cash gifts are welcome and one of our Foundation’s staff members will be happy to discuss these donations with you or your advisers. Please complete the form if you would like to discuss your giving plans or call or email our Foundation office today at 707-703-7664 or email us.
Giving appreciated stock is now more advantageous. A gift of appreciated stock held for more than a year may provide you with significant benefits, including:
- An income tax deduction for the fair market value of the stock
- The elimination of capital gains taxes due if the stock were sold instead
- Freedom to direct your gift to the purpose of your choice
Real Estate Gift
By making a gift of real estate, you can leverage a significant asset to benefit you and Sonoma West Medical Foundation (SWMF). While supporting the Foundation’s mission, you can save on taxes, increase your income, and reduce the burdens of maintaining or selling your property.
- You can make an outright gift of either a percentage interest or an entire property.
- Through a retained life estate arrangement, you can donate your home to SWMF and continue to live there for your life. You are entitled to an immediate income tax deduction for a portion of the appraised value. Moreover, the property is removed from your estate for tax purposes.
- Should you decide to move out of your home, you and the SWMF can sell the property together and divide the proceeds proportionally. Alternatively, you may transfer your remaining life interest to SWMF in exchange for an annuity.
- By funding a trust or annuity with your gift, you can receive an income stream for life for you, your spouse, children or other beneficiaries. A trust can be invested with an endowment option, providing the opportunity for a growing income stream over time. A gift annuity can secure for you an annual income at a set dollar amount. With a trust or annuity, you can also receive an income tax deduction for a portion of your gift, avoid capital gains tax deduction for a portion of your gift and save on gift and estate taxes. In the future, your gift will benefit SWMF according to terms you determine in conjunction with the Foundation that manages your trust.
For many donors, a charitable bequest is the easiest and best way to make a gift to Sonoma West Medical Foundation. By means of your will or other estate plans, you can name the Sonoma West Medical Foundation (SWMF) as the beneficiary of real estate, securities, cash, retirement plans, or other assets from your estate. Many of the powerful gifts with an enduring impact have been bequests, including the gift of the home on Palm Drive that established our hospital over 70 years ago.
Types of Bequests
Cash Bequest: SWMF receives a specific dollar amount from your estate.
Bequests of Property: SWMF receives specific assets, such as securities, real estate, or tangible personal property (for example, antiques or cars).
Residual bequest: SWMF receives all or a percentage of the remainder of your estate after the payment of any specific bequests and expenses.
Retirement plan: SWMF is designated as a beneficiary of the remainder of your IRA or qualified pension or profit-sharing plan.
Sample language for a general, unrestricted bequest to SWMF
“I give (_____ dollars or _____ percent of the residue of my estate) to the Sonoma West Medical Foundation, a California nonprofit corporation for its general purposes or for the benefit of (name of specific program)."
Taking the steps to protect the people and things you love as well as the causes you care about requires some forethought, paperwork and probably some legal advice, too, but the end result is well worth it. That’s why we hope you have an estate plan in place or are working to create one. We do hope your plan includes a provision to remember the Sonoma West Medical Foundation, which supports the Sonoma West Medical Center – your hospital to care for family and friends for years to come.
Making gifts that have a lasting impact can define your legacy. If you would like to discuss a transformational gift, memorial gift, naming opportunities, or creating a bequest, please let us know. One of our professional staff members will be happy to meet with you to discuss those additional ways you can become involved and leave a lasting legacy for your community, family, friends and neighbors.
If your plans already include a bequest that will one day leave a legacy of health for the Foundation, please let us know. We would like to take the proper steps to thank you and welcome you into The Legacy Circle, which honors our generous donors. Sharing your plans is easy and places you under no obligation and all wishes for anonymity will be honored.
In-Kind Goods or Services
Any gift that saves on expenses helps the Foundation support health care in West County. If you can provide services or donate auction items or goods to support our operations or events, these gifts may provide you or your business with a tax deduction.
Social Impact Bonds
Social Impact Bonds provide a new financial tool for social conscious investors. These bonds provide interest income and a performance based payback to those investors who seek to support a worthwhile project. If you are interested in learning more about the Social Impact Bond option, please contact us at 707-703-7664.